Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Owen's Bottle Strike

I need advice - if you have any, please comment!!!

Owen won't take a bottle - I've tried different nipples, different formula, even breastmilk in a bottle, and it doesn't matter. He doesn't take a pacifier, either, I think he just doesn't like foreign objects in his mouth! At one point, I thought I had him - he took about 1-1/2 ounces of breastmilk one day and 1-1/2 oz. of formula the following day, both from a Playtex Nurser latex slow flow nipple. Then when we tried a few days later, nothing. Do I just need to be persistent and keep trying every day until he does? I've heard that sometimes people have better luck if it's not the mom trying, b/c they can smell the milk and want the real thing...

Any advice appreciated...

3 comments:

Charlotte and Claire said...

I think Charlotte and Owen are the same baby - first the crying, now the bottle strike. I, too, tried EVERYTHING until we finally discovered she was just very particular about her bottle and the bottle nipple. When we tried the Playtex VentAire bottle, she finally took it. We didn't try this bottle until she was almost five months old, so I don't know if it was really the bottle or just that she was older.
Good luck trying to figure it out. These little buggers know what they want at such an early age:)

Frantz Family said...

I can imagine how frustrated you must be... Madeline really liked the BreastFlow bottles made by The First Years (same company that makes Soothie). They have a double nipple system and they're shaped a lot like the breast. I don't know if Owen will like them, but it couldn't hurt to try :-)

Right now we are having a feeding problem of our own trying to get Madeline to use a sippy cup. She's OK if WE give it to her, but she refuses to pick it up herself - she just cries until we pick it up for her. In the mean time she's refusing her bottle so it's been a challenge to get her to drink any formula at all. Since she's still not even reaching the 3rd percentile for weight (still less than 15lbs.), so it's been really frustrating.

On the up side, she's starting to eat more and more table food! We're hoping the chicken, cheese, Spaghetti-O's, pudding and ice cream she's been eating will help her pack on some pounds :-)

Good luck with Owen. I think persistence is best. He'll probably come around soon, just hang in there :-)

Hannah said...

As you know, we had tons of issues with Hannah taking a bottle as well... In the end (after all of the various nipples, bottles etc...) it came down to I had to go back to work, so it was take the bottle or starve (sounds harsh I know). The first week was extremely hard (I cried), but by the end she finally took a bottle (from daddy...he was the lucky one who watched her my first week back to work). And after that, we were able to switch from bottle to breast no problem. She never did end up taking a pacifier. I guess some babies never take a bottle and go straight to a cup as well...he's probably too little to try yet but maybe?

Good luck...and hang in there...eventually something will work out. :)